Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Corvus caurinus

Corvus caurinus AKA the Northwestern Crow. Endemic to the coast of the Pacific
Northwest, they are a tad smaller than the American Crow in parts east, though you would
need to see them side by each to tell the difference. As you can see, it gave me an
appraising eye, then decided I was worth the cold shoulder. Intelligent bird.

An aside: I had thought the phrase "side by each" to also be endemic to our coast, I certainly
never heard it till I came West, but it seems it's used on both coasts. Live and learn.

According to Wikipedia, "Beaches and shorelines are the principal forage areas" and
that's where I found this bird, on one of the logs at Willingdon Beach.


1 comment:

  1. From what I've been told they are among the smarter of birds. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete